Read in Hindi

About Us

About Us

Gun and Shell factory was established in 1801 in the name of GUN CARRIAGE AGENCY by the EAST INDIA COMPANY for repair and manufacture of gun carriages.

The transformation from bullock-driver contrivances of Gun Carriage Agency to that of a maker of sophisticated weapon systems is an absorbing story of technological advancement in consonance with developments in modern military hardware. Now it is a fully fledged engineering factory engaged in manufacturing of of ammunition hardware and ordnance stores for army, navy and other civil sectors. Supply to ARMY cover medium calibre guns, mortars elevating mass for L-70 anti-aircraft guns 84mm,rocket launcher, medium caliber shells ranging from 30 to 125 mm, various types of fuzes and primers.


Production of State of the Art Battlefield Equipments.


  • To equip our Armed Forces with modern "Defence and Battle Field Equipment".
  • To continuously modernize production facilities.
  • To Train and motivate personnel.
  • To equip ourselves with technologies through acquisition, synergy and in R & D activities.
  • To continuously improve quality.
  • To achieve highest level of customer satisfaction.



The historical Land marks and development of the factory are as follows:

1801 : Land procured to build a factory
1802: (18thMarch) Established Gun Carriage Agency for manufacture and repair of Gun carriages.
1830: Shifting of Gun Foundry from Fort William and abolition of Gun Carriage Agency and renaming the factory as Gun  Foundry.
1832 : Change over from Bullock Driven machines to Steam Driven Machines.
1840 : Production of both Brass and Iron Guns Established.
1872 : Establishment of Shell Production & renaming as Foundry & Shell Factory
1880 : Establishment of Fuze Section.
1892 : Quality Steel production in bulk started first time in India.
1896 : Establishment of Rolling Mill.
1905 : Shifting Furnaces and Rolling Mill shifted to Ishapore. Renamed as Gun & Shell Factory.
1908 : Changeover from Steam to Electricity driven machinery
1927 : Apprentice Scheme started.
1939 : Outbreak of World War II; Annexing of Dum Dum Workshop to Gun & Shell Factory, Cossipore.
1958 : Tractor Project started.
1962 : Production of Anti Aircraft Guns started.
1964 : Dum Dum was setup as an independent unit.
1965 : Tractor Project transferred to BEML.
1998 : Establishment of 23 mm Pressure Barrel, 30 mm Ballistic Barrel, 9 mm Sub Caliber Barrel and AK-230 GunComponents (Naval).
1999 : Establishment of 12.7 mm Air Defence Gun & 0.32? Pistol.
2002 : Completion of 200 years of Factory, The first Factory within the Ordnance organisation to get ISO 9001-2000 certification.
2003 : Establishment of production of Shell 30mm. HE/T, 51 mm  Mortar.
2004 : Establishment of production of Bomb 81 mm HE, Bomb 51 mm  HE and 40mm. PFFC Shell .


PAN Number


Please enter security code
Forget Password
New User Registration

National Portal

Ministry of defence

Indian Ordnance Factory Board