Read in Hindi


The historical Land marks and development of the factory are as follows:


1801 : Land procured to build the factory
1802: (18thMarch) Established Gun Carriage Agency for manufacture and repair of Gun carriages.
1830: Shifting of Gun Foundry from Fort William and abolition of Gun Carriage Agency and renaming the factory as Gun  Foundry.
1832 : Change over from Bullock Driven machines to Steam Driven Machines.
1840 : Production of both Brass and Iron Guns Established.
1872 : Establishment of Shell Production & renaming as Foundry & Shell Factory
1880 : Establishment of Fuze Section.
1892 : Quality Steel production in bulk started first time in India.
1896 : Establishment of Rolling Mill.
1905 : Shifting Furnaces and Rolling Mill to Ishapore. Renaming as Gun & Shell Factory.
1908 : Changeover from Steam to Electricity driven machinery
1927 : Apprentice Scheme started.
1939 : Outbreak of World War II; Annexing of Dum Dum Workshop to Gun & Shell Factory, Cossipore.
1958 : Tractor Project started.
1962 : Production of Anti Aircraft Guns started.
1964 : Dum Dum was setup as an independent unit.
1965 : Tractor Project transferred to BEML.
1998 : Establishment of 23 mm Pressure Barrel, 30 mm Ballistic Barrel, 9 mm Sub Caliber Barrel and AK-230 GunComponents (Naval).
1999 : Establishment of 12.7 mm Air Defence Gun & 0.32? Pistol.
2002 : Completion of 200 years of Factory, The first Factory within the Ordnance organisation to get ISO 9001-2000 certification.
2003 : Establishment of production of Shell 30mm. HE/T, 51 mm  Mortar.
2004 : Establishment of production of Bomb 81 mm HE, Bomb 51 mm  HE and 40mm. PFFC Shell .


PAN Number


Please enter security code
Forget Password
New User Registration

National Portal

Ministry of defence

Indian Ordnance Factory Board